Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Gladiator: 2000

Technically, I'm still watching Gladiator...at least it's on my television screen right now as I write this post, but I'm at the point where I've watched enough to know that this film is not for me. Most of the time watching it I felt like I was watching the Roman version of Braveheart, but that comparison seems like an insult to Braveheart.

My biggest issue with Gladiator is the lack of character development. Maximus (played by Russell Crowe) wants revenge for the death of his wife and son and the emperor. It doesn't get any more complicated than that for his character. The love story between him and the emperor's daughter Lucilla is present but doesn't seem to be developed much either. We know they have a past and Maximus isn't that interested in revisiting the past. His loyalty to his family is above everything in his life. Certainly an admirable quality but doesn't allow for much development.

The film aspect I found interesting throughout was the color of certain scenes. When Commodus (played by Joaquin Phoenix who is impressively evil, I'll give the film that) is on screen, the color is cool and blue, projecting his evil intentions.


But in scenes with Maximus, in particular after Commodus murders his father to obtain the throne and orders the murder of Maximus's family, the color is warmer.


The color difference doesn't carry throughout the film, but when used, the contrast effectively presents Maximus as the hero and Commodus as the villain.

At least this is another film that Ryan and Nate talked about in their podcast; that's probably the only highlight of watching Gladiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment