Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Golden Globes: 2018

In the spirit of a film blog (and one that focuses on award winning films), it only seems logical to discuss the Golden Globes, often cited as one indicator of the Oscars (coming March 4, 2018, put it on your calendar now). While I could spend this post discussing how much I love Oprah and her speech (here's the transcript in case you missed it), I'm going to focus instead on what I left the Globes with: a list of films to see.

1) Dunkirk: Nominated for Best Motion Picture-Drama, Dunkirk is based on the true story of small fishing boats rescuing British soldiers in World War II. The film came out in the summer, and honestly, I didn't even think about seeing it in the theater. I've watched a lot of war movies for this blog, so I don't feel like I'm lacking in this area. Watching the clips for Dunkirk during the Globes, though, made me think it might be inspiring to watch (I do love true stories where regular people are heroes because they remind me that good people exist in our world), and luckily for me, as a summer release, it's already available on DVD at my local library. I placed my hold for the film and now just have to wait for it to come in.

2) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: When I went to see Lady Bird, I thought about seeing his film instead, but I decided not to because I really needed a comedy, not a drama, that day. Now I really want to find a time to go see Three Billboards, and I think that needs to happen before March 4.

3) All the foreign language film nominees: Every year I see this category on the Globes and Oscars and want to watch them. Maybe that's the next list I should work my way through whenever I finish the Best Pictures list I'm currently working on.

4) Battle of the Sexes: So I know nothing about this movie other than Steve Carell is in it and it's a comedy. Did I mention Steve Carell is in it? Do I need any other reason to see it? I think not. And good news...this one is also available at my local library.





No comments:

Post a Comment