Wednesday, January 3, 2018

It's Been Awhile...

Honestly, I've been watching movies...I just haven't been working on this list. For this post, I thought I'd cover some of the highlights of my year end viewings until I manage to watch Schindler's List (yes, I have a copy now, picked up today from my library).

Mudbound: Thank you, Netflix, for posting your film online as well as releasing it in theaters. With two young kids, it's hard for me to get out to see new releases, so I was excited to hear about Mudbound being on Netflix. As difficult as the film is to watch at times due to the content, it's a must see. Mary J. Blige is simply amazing. I cannot begin to tell you how convincing her performance is. And Rob Morgan as her husband Hap is astonishing. The pain he experiences, both physical and emotional, gripped me. I found myself hurting along with him. I'm hoping to see more of Blige and Morgan in upcoming films. Side note: Morgan is one of the police officers in Stranger Things. As much as I love that series, it doesn't show how powerful Morgan is as an actor.



Lady Bird: I did get to the theater for this one, and I have to say, Lady Bird, I get you. My high school experiences may have differed from yours, but the feelings were there. I also get her mom's feelings, sometimes. This is a film I need to watch again in 10 years when I have two teenagers. Lady Bird is funny, but I didn't find myself laughing out loud. Instead, it was more of that "hmpf" chuckle. My favorite funny moment was when Lady Bird and her friend Julie were caught eating communion wafers at their Catholic school.


Star Wars: The Last Jedi: I LOVE Star Wars, so I'm always a little nervous when new films come out. I have to wonder, can they ever compare to the original trilogy (and by that I mean episodes 4, 5, and 6 obviously). This new series is living up, and what I particularly loved about The Last Jedi is the creation and development of new characters and relationships. As much as I love watching Leia, Luke, and Han fight the Empire, it really is time for new heroes and new stories. The Last Jedi delivers while still making connections to the older generation. The only problem is having to wait a year and a half for the next installment.





No comments:

Post a Comment