Thursday, February 1, 2018

What About American Beauty?

If anyone is keeping track, I jumped into the 2000s without posting about American Beauty, released in 1999 with an impressive cast that includes Annette Bening, Thora Birch, Mena Suvari, and Allison Janney. Those of you who have seen the film might note that I didn't include Kevin Spacey in that list. He's actually the main reason I'm not doing a rewatch of this film (or watching anything that he's in). Spacey's history of sexual harassment and assault is reason enough to avoid the actor. 

I remember seeing American Beauty in the theater, and afterwards I thought "What did I just watch?" Well, that and I was thoroughly grossed out by Spacey's character. If that was my reaction then, I'm thinking it will only be worse knowing what the actor is really like.

So, goodbye to the 90s and the 20th century. It's time to move forward and continue with the 2000s. I've already covered three (Gladiator, Birdman, and Moonlight). It looks like I just might finish watching all the Academy Aware Best Picture winners this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment