Monday, February 5, 2018

Dunkirk: 2017

Yes, I know Dunkirk hasn't won an Academy Award (yet, it's nominated but I think this year it will go to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri), but I was able to get it from my library and wanted to watch another nominated film just to have more context for this year's Academy Awards on March 4.

The story itself is fascinating: 400,000 British troops stranded in France, 300,000 of whom are rescued by small civilian boats. I was familiar with the historical event, but I didn't know the numbers or have any concept of what the experience was like for the troops or for the rescuers. Dunkirk puts the audience right in the middle. It's a film that you need to watch carefully at the beginning to understand the structure (there are three storylines). I didn't find myself connecting closely with any of the characters; instead, I was worried about all of them. And I think that's the point. All these troops, with no hope of rescue. And then the boats arrive.

Visually, the film is spectacular. The shots from the perspective of the fighter pilots put the audience in the cockpit. Cinematography has come a long way from the first best picture winner Wings. While some might want to see these scenes on a big screen, I'm glad I was at home as I think I would have been a bit queasy watching them, that's how realistic they seemed.

Dunkirk is worth watching if only for the visuals. Having an interesting structure only adds to the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment