Monday, February 4, 2019

Beauty and the Beast: 2017

With three extra days off last week from work due to snow and cold, I had time to watch Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast, one I've been wanting to see since it came out in spring 2017. Unfortunately, my daughters think it's too scary to watch for family movie night, so I've been waiting to have time on my own to watch it. They may be right--it's a little scary for young kids with the wolves scene and the live action Beast is intense at times. But it was exactly what I needed this past week.

When life seems overwhelming, I'm all about comfort. Whether that's comfort food like elbow mac and cheese or comfort shows (everyone keeps telling me to watch The Great British Baking Show on Netflix), I fall back on Disney for my comfort viewing. I grew up watching Disney movies; we even had the Disney Channel for several years. While I may have watched The Little Mermaid more than any other princess movie (my best friend and I would act it out with her sisters), my favorite princess has always been Belle. With her kindness, generosity, and love of books, Belle seemed perfect to me. When she disobeys her father, it's to save him, not to meet some prince. Watching the new film version of her story, though, makes me love Belle even more because she not only is kind, generous book reader, she also has spirit and a mind of her own. Belle doesn't put up with the Beast in the animated version, but that's even more apparent in the live action version. Besides improving Belle's character, the writers actually gave the Beast a character. In the animated version, he's a flat character--everything he does is for Belle, sure, but his actions don't show who he is. So when Belle falls in love with the Beast, the audience doesn't know why beyond him being kinder than expected for a beast. In this new version, the Beast shares common interests with Belle, and writers added a more complete backstory to show how his childhood impacted him. When Belle falls for him in this version, her love seems more authentic and realistic.

I liked all the changes, but what really made the movie the comforting experience I craved was the music. In the opening scene with Belle in the village when the music started, I had chills as each Bonjour rang out. My childhood memories. Right there, in those few minutes, I escaped from the responsibilities of adulthood and was a kid again. Emma Watson as Belle is perfect casting. She has the right amount of sass with determination and courage along with a decent singing voice. I'm still adjusting a bit to seeing her as any character other than Hermione Granger, and her portrayal of Belle only helps a little with that distancing because in many ways this Belle is the Hermione Granger of 18th century France. But that's okay. The world could use more women like Hermione.

As Disney continues on this path of making live action versions of their beloved classics, I'll keep watching. I won't go out of my way to see them in the theater, but if they show up on Netflix or my kids wants to check them out at the library, I'll watch them. Maybe next time I watch one I'll pair it with some mac and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment