Monday, September 11, 2017

Dances With Wolves: 1990

Caution: Spoilers Ahead

Dances With Wolves is a long movie. Seriously, nearly 4 hours long. And while the first two hours held my attention, I'm at a point where I'm really getting bored, which is unfortunate because there's finally some action at the fort where John Dunbar (played by Kevin Costner who also directed and produced the film) was stationed. Of course, it's really Dunbar's fault that he's in the situation he's in because he insisted going back for his journal. He clearly thought the fort was still abandoned because he had been gone for so long, but of course, it wasn't. And now he's putting his friends in danger. Arrogant man.

I've been enjoying his interaction with the wolf, but I haven't seen much of that lately. The first couple hours were good because of this interaction and the overall scenery. But now I'm ready just to find out how everything turns out (but I have to admit that I'm not sure I'm even that interested in knowing). Part of me is disgusted with how the soldiers are treating Dunbar or Dances With Wolves (as he is later named), but another part of me is still wondering how historically accurate the film is with portraying the Sioux. Earlier scenes show both a loving community while other scenes show such brutally as scalping white people that they killed. I'm not sure what to make of all of it. Clearly, the West was a brutal place.

Really, my main question is "how much longer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment