Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Terms of Endearment: 1983

I had expected, even prepared, myself to cry at some point during this movie. I'm over halfway through this movie, and I don't really like any of the characters. Shirley MacLaine's performance as the overbearing mother is solid, Debra Winger as a spoiled daughter is good, and Jeff Daniels as the oblivious husband is right on the mark. But it seems that the characters themselves, no matter how well they're portrayed, are just not connecting with me.

Jack Nicholson (who plays the astronaut playboy neighbor) won Best Supporting Actor for his role, and MacLaine won Best Actress. I can see why MacLaine won, but this was yet another film for me where Nicholson seems to be the same character as always. There doesn't seem to be much depth to him. Granted, I'm just over halfway through, so perhaps there's more coming with his character that will demonstrate more of a range that would merit winning an Oscar.

The sad part of the movie is seeing how Emma and  Flap's tumultuous relationship affects their children. They come across as selfish parents who aren't really thinking about what's best for their kids. And their oldest Tommy is the most affected. He seems to see his parents for who they truly are, even as a young boy. He sees their faults, and he isn't willing to forgive them. Honestly, I can understand considering how Emma and Flap are.

I'll finish watching Terms of Endearment because of this blog. But if I was just watching this for my own entertainment, I would have turned it off at least half an hour ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment