Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Amadeus: 1984

On one hand, I wish I had read this article from the BBC about Amadeus before I watched the film to know just how fictional the film is. Yet I kind of enjoyed not knowing how much was true and how much was false when I watched the film. The scandals and drama of Mozart and Salieri's Vienna drew me into their lives and their stories. I actually wish it was a miniseries instead; there still seems more to tell. What ended up happening to Mozart's wife after his death? What did Salieri accomplish before ending up an old man in an insane asylum?

Unlike some of the other films I've watched for this blog, Amadeus was not one where I questioned why the film earned Best Picture. From the acting to the plot to the cinematography, the film was engaging and entertaining while also being visually stunning. The only moments I felt pulled out of the film was when I recognized the Emperor as being Ferris Bueller's principal (played by Jeffrey Jones) and the maid being Miranda from Sex and the City (played by a young Cynthia Nixon). I figured those are forgivable considering how both of their roles in other works have become iconic. Both Jones and Nixon were convincing in their roles; it's not their fault that their faces are so recognizable now.

The one problem I'm having with Amadeus is what to say about it, and I wonder if that's just me or a common issue with the film. It's good, honestly, but what's notable? The film has long scenes of opera, and the staging and casting in those operas is quite impressive. In a way, I felt like I was experiencing multiple forms of media in one place. But I could see that as a being a downfall of the film as it takes away from the main storyline of Salieri's intense hatred for Mozart and Mozart as creative genius. I don't know for sure how much was in the film version released in theaters as the version I picked up at my local library was a director's cut and thus had an additional 20 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if most of that 20 minutes consisted of operas as those scenes seemed a bit long for a wide release.

Looking back on my last post, I should note that I did finish Terms of Endearment, and while the ending is sad, it still didn't change my outlook on the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment