Friday, April 13, 2018

A Beautiful Mind: 2001

A Beautiful Mind was a rewatch for me and definitely a necessary one because I didn't remember much from the film at all except the shed full of magazine and newspaper clippings. I didn't even remember that the film was based on a true story. All I could remember was that I liked the movie. And that turned out to be true on the second watching.

What struck me on this viewing was how talented Russell Crowe is. Sure, Gladiator is a terrible film, but it's not Crowe's fault. His ability to portray a character suffering from schizophrenia is astounding. Crowe is intense in this film; you believe his hallucinations as real. When the truth is uncovered, I had trouble believing it, and I think that was due to Crowe's performance. The reason was because I didn't want to think that John Nash was without friends. When the truth comes out that his best friend Charles isn't real, I was crushed. Here's a social awkward man who struggled with human interactions and had found someone who seemed to really understand, but this man wasn't even real. It was all in his head.

My friend Ryan said to me before I watched the film that he thinks A Beautiful Mind is one of those movies that people would forget how much they enjoyed (I'm summing up his words here). I have to agree. If you're at all considering watching it, you should. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment