Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Annie Hall: 1977

The back of the DVD case for Annie Hall calls the film a "romantic comedy." Now, by my definition of romantic comedy, I wouldn't say that Annie Hall is one. A comedy, yes, for sure, but a romantic comedy has a different ending than Annie Hall. I suppose one could argue that the film is about a couple, Annie and Alvy, and their relationship, thus it's a romantic comedy, but I think the film is more comedic than romantic. Alvy (Woody Allen) as the narrator and main character tells us about his relationship with Annie, and early on, we learn that they break up, and we are not led to believe that the couple will get back together. The film chronicles their relationship, incorporating Alvy's career as a comedian and his quirks, of which there are many.

For me, Annie Hall was intriguing because it's one of the first I've watched for this blog where the main character steps out of scenes and speaks directly to the audience. Alvy wants us on his side, or sometimes he feels the need to explain things in order to make sure we understand. Of course, in those latter cases, by explaining things he's helping us see his perspective, which supports his side. My favorite moment of stepping out occurs when he and Annie are waiting in line for a movie. It's a documentary about Nazi Germany, and behind them is a film professor loudly sharing his pretentious thoughts:


I love how Alvy handles the professor, but I don't love how he treats Annie. It's clear that their relationship is falling apart in this scene. She no longer finds his quirks adorable; she seems him as a critical cynic. It's not surprising that the couple doesn't last, but I found their story endearing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment