Saturday, July 12, 2014

You Can't Take It With You: 1938

Frank Capra's You Can't Take It With You is a fun comedy with a moral: life is about friendship and family, not money. And in watching the film, I had the sense that this concept is one that Capra fully embraces on film and in real life. The actors seemed so natural in their roles, and the story (originally a play) was heartwarming and humorous, but not cheesy. It seemed like I had a window into these characters' lives, that's how real they seemed to me.

Jimmy Stewart plays the role of Tony Kirby, a wealthy businessman's son who is being groomed to take over the family bank. Stewart falls for Alice (played by Jean Arthur), his secretary and granddaughter of Grandpa Vanderhoff, the one man who refuses to sell his home to allow Kirby's father's deal to go through. Obviously, this creates some tension between the families, but most of the tension is generated by Tony's snooty mother and money-driven father. Vanderhoff doesn't let much bother him. He explains to Tony's father how he used to be a businessman himself until one day he realized just how unhappy he was. That day he got on the elevator, took it the ground level, and left the building, never to return to work, and ever since that day, he has been much happier. Of all the characters, Grandpa epitomizes the theme of the film; he is rich in friends and family, thus he is happy, whereas Tony's father, the elder Kirby, has money but no real happiness.

As much as I enjoyed the film, it did occur to me that whenever I see Jimmy Stewart, he seems to the play a similar character, the "aww shucks" character. Then again, I've only seen him in his most famous early rolls as George Bailey and Mr. Smith. I've seen clips of him in the later Hitchcock films, so perhaps when I'm done with the best pictures, I should move on to films that show a different side to actors that seem to have only one character in them. (Don't get me wrong...I love Jimmy Stewart as these characters...he seems genuine in each role).

The best part about You Can't Take It With You was the message. I love how this film shows (in several situations) how the real "rich men" of the world are the ones who make connections with others and care for others. Whenever Grandpa is in need of help, his friends and family are there. Sometimes we need a reminder of this, and You Can't Take It With You is a perfect reminder that will also make you laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment